Posted on May 12, 2014August 1, 2019 by nyhouse Sharon Springs has a colorful history. It has always been a gathering spot, even since the days when the Mohawk Indians roamed the region . Make sure you ask to see Bruce’s collection of old Sharon Springs postcards! The town was first settled around 1780. It was called “New Dorlach” from a location in Germany known to the early settlers while still in Otsego County Sharon was created in 1797 from the Town of Schoharie during the early organization of Schoharie County. In 1781 during the America Revolution, a battle, the Battle of Sharon, was fought in the town between small contingents of Colonial forces and Tories. The Roseboro, on Main St. in Sharon Springs, NY. The opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 reduced road traffic on a major east-west turnpike through the town, leading to the decline of several early communities. Sharon Springs set itself apart from the Town of Sharon in 1871 by incorporating as a village, and absorbed the neighboring community of Rockville during this process.